Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Teething Biscuits


  So as an amateur baker I had no problem at cooking things till they were hard as a rock. However, this has proven more challenging when my efforts are intentional. Non the less I found a suitable recipe for teething biscuits. Although over time they did in fact start to soften and bend. But then again I didn't have the maple syrup the recipe called for. So I used molasses instead. I think an extra 10 minutes in the oven would have done the trick.

Now that being said this was my second batch, the first being a completley different recipe. But I believe the first recipe I got didn't give enough emphasis on how sticky the "dough" would be. Live and learn.

Basic Teething Biscuit aka 3 Cup Biscuit

1 cup juice ( I used apple, but I think fresh grape would be yummy)
1 cup rice cereal
1 cup flour

Mix till combined. Roll out of floured surface, cut out and bake on un-greased sheet for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Note: This dough is very sticky. It would help to add enough four till the dough doesn't stick to the bowel. Then kneed it until its smooth adding enough flour as you go. Roll to about 1/4 inch in thickness and avoid sharp edged shapes!

Donut-Shaped Teething Biscuits
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup maple syrup ( I used molasses)
3 tbs. apple sauce

Preheat oven to 300. Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until they just come together. Dust  counter and knead until smooth, around 3 minutes.


Roll with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thickness. Invert a round glass and cut out circles in the dough. Cut out a circle in the middle (I used a baby bottle cap and just took out the nipple)

Transfer the cookies to a greased cookie sheet and bake until barely browned (around 35 minutes). Let them cool completely on the sheet overnight to get very hard.

Note: As I used molasses instead my biscuits were naturally a bit ore brown in color. I baked them for 30 minutes but they could have used another 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was surprised at just HOW sticky the dough was! I ended up throwing some of it away, it kept sticking to the rolling pin. We'll see how my son likes them and make some adjustments if I make them again.